Tuesday, March 12, 2013

This Seat's Taken: AP Lit, March 12, 2013

Focus: Approaching poetry with a creative yet discerning eye

1. Reminder: Please sign up for a conference (see link on "I'm holding your essays hostage" blog)

2. Poetry project presentations and feedback

3. A poetry game: "Ruin the poem"

Your overall goal: To inflict the largest damage with the smallest stroke. (The Practice of Poetry)

Diction: Ruin each of the following lines from famous poems by changing one word and one word only.  Take a stab at different parts of speech; for example, try changing a noun in the first line, a verb in the second, an adjective in the third, punctuation in the fourth, etc.  With one word, your job is to change the entire sentiment of the line (not just to make it silly).

"Whose woods these are I think I know"

"I heard a Fly Buzz--when I died--"

"The proper study of mankind is Man."

"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun"

"Let us go then, you and I"

"so much depends / upon / a red wheel barrow"


Syntax: Ruin each line by changing the order of words and/or their punctuation only.  Try your best not add, change, or delete any words.  Again, remember that the idea is to change the meaning/sentiment of the line by altering its syntax; the line should make sense after you've changed, but it should make a different kind of sense than it originally did.

"I have eaten / the plums / that were in / the icebox"

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

"I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear"

"What happens to a dream deferred?"

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)"

"I wandered lonely as a cloud"

HW: 
1. Book club reading/preparation/syllabus.
2. Sign up for a conference.
3. If you're presenting Friday, work on your projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment