2. Warm-up: The Battle Royal
- Skim back through the "battle royal" scene (pages 17-33).
- For each page, jot down one short line or phrase whose imagery and diction capture something important about what's happening on that page.
- Read closely how these lines come together...are there shifts? Motifs? Dichotomies?
- How do these pages transform the narrator? What do you think is Ellison's larger purpose in this passage?
3. Socratic seminar: Invisible Man, Chapters 6 and 7
HW: Start reading Chapters 8 through 10 for this Friday; meet in the library computer lab on Wednesday.