2. Warm-up: Variations on a theme
- Take one part of the Battle Royal and find a scene in a later chapter that echoes it/offers a variation of it.
- Read the two scenes closely, finding as many specific parallels as possible. Write them down in your composition notebook.
- How do the two scenes serve a similar purpose?
- How and why do they differ? In other words, how is one a variation of the other?
- Why might Ellison offer us this echoed version of the Battle Royal in this particular moment?
3. Socratic seminar: Chapters 8-10 of Invisible Man
HW: Read Chapters....of Invisible Man to prepare for our next Socratic seminar on Monday, Nov 26; outline your poetry paper or compose the proposal for your poetry project (proposals due Tue).